Seniors’ voices are a powerful asset and can be used to push for change in all levels of government and in private corporations. Policy changes rarely happen on their own. They require the strong voices and stronger resolve of citizens willing to fight for climate action.
In many cases, advocating for change at the government level is key to making real change for a sustainable future. Many groups in our network focus on government advocacy.
- Citizen’s for Public Justice have created an Advocacy Toolkit. It’s a guide that provides tools for people with various levels of ability, with useful information about different methods of advocacy.
- The Citizen’s Climate Counsel (C3) is a group of seniors in Ottawa dedicated to climate action. C3 members use their voices to enhance the City of Ottawa’s ability to move forward on climate issues. Contact Dpearson.email@example.com to get involved with C3 campaigns .
- Citizen’s Climate Lobby (NCR-Ottawa) is dedicated to lobbying for a carbon fee and dividend at the federal level. They train citizens to write compelling op-eds, to build relationships with elected officials and to educate others on the importance of a low-carbon future. Find out more here.
- Community associations have a powerful voice in city affairs. Check out your local community association and get involved.
- The Grandmothers’ Advocacy Network is a dynamic network of volunteers from across Canada working together to influence policy change and stimulate effective action in Canada to protect human rights of grandmothers, children and youth in Sub-Saharan Africa. Get involved today!
When trying to get corporations to take climate action, one of the most powerful actions seniors can take is to voice your concern on social media and move your money to other, more green-oriented companies.
- Check out this video about how the Eco-Elders of Calgary in partnership with For Our Grandchildren used their voices to advocate against the Grassy Mountain Coal Project in Alberta.
- Send a letter to RBC and TD asking them to disclose timelines and transparent plans to stop funding of fossil fuel projects, sacrificing our climate to make a profit and our grandchildren’s futures.